For Tandon School of Engineering students, New York University’s ID card, the NYUCard, may be picked up on weekdays at the Tandon NYUCard Center on the ground floor of 2 MetroTech Center in Brooklyn.
NYUCard applicants must bring government issued ID with a current photo, and an N number or NetID. New students may upload a photo via photoid.nyu.edu and await notification of card availability. NYUCards are available to all NYU students, faculty, administration, staff and retirees. After business hours, day passes may be obtained from NYU Public Safety at 561 LaGuardia Place.
In Manhattan, the NYUCard Center is located in the ground floor lobby of 7 Washington Place (at the corner of Mercer Street). NYUCard inquiries may be e-mailed to email@example.com
Jane’s Carousel is a restored 1922 carousel with ornate carved horses located in the Empire Fulton Ferry section of the Brooklyn Bridge Park in Dumbo, between the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges.
Originally installed at Idora Park in Youngstown, Ohio, the carousel was purchased in the 1980s by David Walentas, the real estate developer behind the revitalization of the Dumbo neighborhood, and his artist wife Jane. Jane Walentas oversaw a meticulous restoration of the carousel to its former glory and the couple donated it to the Brooklyn Bridge Park for the public’s enjoyment.
Housed in a purpose-built glass pavilion on the waterfront, with views of the bridges and Manhattan skyline, the carousel is open to both children and adults, and rides are $2 each.
Dumbo is short for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass.
This waterfront neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York City, as the name suggests, sits beneath Manhattan Bridge, sandwiched between the Brooklyn Bridge and the Vinegar Hill neighborhood.
It is thought the acronym was coined in the 1970s and use of the name became more popular from the late 1990s when a period of revitalization saw its industrial buildings repurposed as residential apartments and offices
The New York City borough of Brooklyn is named after the town of Breukelen in the Netherlands.
In the mid 1600s, Dutch colonists established six settlements in the area of present-day Brooklyn, one of which was called Breuckelen after the Dutch town. After the British gained control of the territory in 1664, the name became anglicized and the six towns ultimately consolidated into the single city of Brooklyn. It became a borough of New York City in 1898.