The city of Deerfield Beach, Florida, originally called the town of Deerfield, was so named because of the deer that grazed along the nearby Hillsboro River.
Located some 5 miles (or 8 kilometers) south of Boca Raton in Broward County, the original Town of Deerfield was incorporated on June 11, 1925, when it was primarily an agricultural community. In 1939, the name was changed to Deerfield Beach and by the late 1940s the tourism industry became increasingly dominant and hotel and motel developments appeared on the waterfront.
Deerfield Beach attained city status in 1951 and construction of the original Deerfield Beach Pier started in the same year. In 1962, the wooden pier was substantially destroyed by Hurricane Ella. Construction of a new 720-foot-long fishing pier started in 1963 which was formally opened in February 1967.