The red-brick clock tower in the centre of the city of Bangor, Gwynedd, was built between 1886 and 1887, by builder T J Humphreys of Bangor.
The Victorian listed structure on Bangor’s High Street has four clock faces and a chiming bell, and was given to the city by Bangor businessman Thomas Lewis, who was Mayor of Bangor between 1885 and 1887 and lived at Gartherwen.
A stone tablet on the clock has the following inscription:
ERECTED & PRESENTED TO THE CITY OF BANGOR BY ALDN. THOMAS LEWIS JP GARTH ERWEN DURING HIS MAYORALTY AS A TOKEN OF HIS INTEREST IN THE WELFARE OF THE CITY. 1886-7