Alexander Hamilton’s 1802 home, The Grange, was relocated in June 2008 to the northern end of Saint Nicholas Park in Harlem’s Hamilton Heights neighborhood.
The Founding Father’s yellow and white Federal-style house previously stood a block north, next to Saint Luke’s Episcopal Church on Convent Avenue at 141st Street. Despite becoming a National Memorial in 1962, it was hemmed in by neighboring buildings, and had fallen into a state of disrepair.
The relocation project included a $14.5 million restoration of the building, which is managed by the National Parks Service as the Hamilton Grange National Memorial.
It was the second move for the Grange, having originally been built on a hilltop at the center of Hamilton’s 32-acre country estate, just two blocks north where West 43rd Street stands today. To accommodate expansion of Manhattan’s street grid layout, the house was donated to St Luke’s in 1889 and first relocated to the site adjacent to the present-day church.
The Grange was Hamilton’s home for just two years before he was shot and killed in 1804 in a duel with Vice President Aaron Burr.