Throgs Neck in the Bronx, New York City, is named after English immigrant John Throckmorton, whose surname is also variously spelled as Throgmorton and Throggmorton.
He settled on the peninsula for a period from 1642 when it was part of New Amsterdam and under the control of Dutch colonialists.
Also known as Throggs Neck, road signage favors spelling with one ‘G‘, as do the official names of the Throgs Neck Park public park and the Throgs Neck Bridge across the East River, connecting the peninsula with the Bay Terrace section of Queens.
The name became corrupted over time, appearing on maps in the late 17th century as Frockes Neck, and in the late 18th century George Washington’s headquarters referred to a potential British landing at Frogs Neck. The neck describes the point where the peninsula causes narrowing of the East River estuary as it runs into Long Island Sound.