Logan Square in Philadelphia is named after James Logan, who served as the city’s fourteenth mayor between 1722 and 1723.
Also known as Logan Circle because of the circular water feature at its center, the open-space park in Philadelphia’s northwest quadrant was planned during the laying out of the original city grid. Originally named Northwest Square. it was renamed Logan Square in 1825 after the Philadelphia statesman.
James Logan was born in Lurgan, County Armagh, Ireland, in 1674 and came to the colony of Pennsylvania in 1699 as the colonial secretary to William Penn. He was a founding trustee of the Academy and College of Philadelphia, a predecessor institution to the University of Pennsylvania.